Now accepting Telehealth appointments. Schedule a virtual visit.

Abscess Specialist

Robert G Yavrouian, MD, FACS, FASCRS

Colon and Rectal Surgery located in Los Angeles, CA & Glendale, CA

An abscess in your rectum or anus can be distressingly painful and could develop into a more serious problem like a fistula. If you think you might have an abscess, experienced colorectal surgeon Robert Yavrouian, MD, can diagnose and treat it at his offices in the Boyle Heights area of Los Angeles and Glendale, California. For relief from the pain of an anal or rectal abscess, call the nearest office of Dr. Robert Yavrouian today or schedule a consultation online.

Abscess Q & A

What is an abscess?

An abscess is a pus-filled hole in your perianal area, which consists of your rectum, anal canal, and anus. Abscesses cause continual, throbbing pain, and you may be able to feel a lump at the source of the pain. 

You might also experience:

  • Rectal discharge
  • Rectal bleeding
  • Pain when passing stools
  • Swelling
  • Constipation
  • Tender anal skin
  • Fatigue
  • Fever and chills

Abscesses further up your rectum can sometimes cause abdominal pain.

An untreated anal or rectal abscess can develop into a fistula – an abnormal opening in your tissues that could require surgery.

Why would I have an abscess?

The most likely reasons for developing an abscess are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), blocked anal glands, or infected anal fissures. You're more likely to have an abscess if you also suffer from health problems like:

  • Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
  • Diabetes
  • Constipation
  • Diarrhea

Taking steroids like prednisone and undergoing chemotherapy are additional risk factors. Engaging in anal sex can also increase your chances of developing an abscess.

How is an abscess diagnosed?

Dr. Yavrouian can diagnose a visible abscess during a physical examination. If it isn't visible externally, but your symptoms indicate you have an abscess, he might perform a sigmoidoscopy to view the inside of your rectum.

During a sigmoidoscopy, Dr. Yavrouian inserts a flexible tube equipped with a tiny camera (the sigmoidoscope) into your rectum. He views the images sent back by the camera on a monitor, which should show if you have an abscess or any other abnormalities.

Other tests you might require include an ultrasound or an MRI scan.

What treatment might I need for an abscess?

An anal or rectal abscess is unlikely to go away without treatment. Dr. Yavrouian needs to relieve the pressure by draining the pus from the abscess, which in most cases he can do in the office under a local anesthetic.

After the procedure, you may need to take pain medication for any discomfort and use stool softeners to avoid painful bowel movements. Sitting in a warm sitz bath several times a day can also soothe the area.

Unless you have diabetes or an immune system disorder, you don't need to take antibiotics after Dr. Yavrouian drains your abscess. There might be some leakage after the procedure, so it's advisable to wear an absorbent pad in your underwear for the first few days.

To get expert relief from anal or rectal abscess pain, call Dr. Robert Yavrouian today or book an appointment online.